The city’s budget is structured to provide quality public services to residents and businesses at a reasonable price.
Budget process, timeline and feedback
The city uses an open and public process to adopt its annual budget. The process typically follows this timeline:
- June – Departments prepare budget requests
- July – Department budgets reviewed by city manager and finance director
- August – City council reviews budget requests at a public study session
- September – Council adopts preliminary budget and tax levy
- November – Council reviews detailed preliminary budget at a public study session
- December – Council reviews budget at a public meeting and adopts final budget and tax levy
We welcome feedback and input at public meetings, by phone (952-939-8200) or via our online request system.
Minnetonka recognized for financial planning excellence
The Minnesota Center for Fiscal Excellence ranked the City of Minnetonka third in the state for healthy financial planning in 2017. The report ranked Minnesota's 30 largest cities according to best practices in fiscal management. Read the full report.