Annual property tax statements are prepared and mailed each spring by Hennepin County. If you are responsible for paying your own property tax (for example, you do not escrow with your mortgage company), this statement will include payment coupons due May 15 and Oct. 15 each year.
This tax statement also provides information to complete the Minnesota Property Tax Refund, if eligible. This refund is prepared and filed separately from your income tax return, and typically has a filing deadline of Aug. 15.
The city accounts for approximately one-fourth of a homeowner’s total property tax bill. School district and county taxes account for approximately one-third each, with the rest going to other jurisdictions.
Minnetonka uses its property taxes to provide a full range of municipal services. Unlike most cities, taxes fund road and other improvements, rather than additional special assessments to property owners. Approximately 70 percent of property taxes supports streets and public safety, and most of the remaining 30 percent is dedicated to parks and natural resources. Minnetonka’s tax rate is typically one of the lowest of comparable metro-area cities.
Visit Hennepin County’s property information search to lookup basic information about any property.
Property tax refund programs
Several state programs exist to assist eligible residents with the rising cost of property taxes. Learn more about each program below.
For additional information about property tax refunds and programs visit the Minnesota Department of Revenue’s website or call its tax helpline at 651-296-3781.
Minnesota has two property tax refund programs for homeowners: the regular Homestead Credit Refund and the special Homestead Credit Refund. You may qualify for either or both of these refunds depending on your income and property tax increase.
Learn more about the programs, learn if you’re qualified and download an application.
This low-interest loan program for qualified seniors limits property taxes to three percent of their total household income. The state temporarily pays any property tax above that amount on their behalf.
This is a loan from the state, and it must be repaid plus interest (not to exceed five percent). The state may take individual tax refunds or other payments and apply them to this loan.
Learn more and download application materials. Call the state department of revenue at 651-295-3781 for questions or more information.
The Community Action Partnership of Hennepin County’s Foreclosure Prevention Program helps homeowners in danger of losing their homes due to a foreclosure. The program provides counseling, advocacy, referrals to additional resources and more.
Call 952-933-1993 to learn more.