Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020
Minnetonka Night to Unite is an evening for neighbors to gather, get to know one another and promote community safety. This annual event is held the first Tuesday in August.
Join your neighbors Tuesday, Aug. 4, 2020 for the annual Night to Unite in Minnesota, sponsored by the Minnesota Crime Prevention Association, AAA and local law enforcement agencies. Night to Unite celebrates and strengthens neighborhood and community partnerships.
Minnetonka police, fire, ambulance and public works will attempt to visit parties that register with the city. The 2020 registration form will be available a few months prior to Night to Unite. Please note that visits are not guaranteed, but we try to visit as many events as possible.
You must obtain a permit to hold your event in a city park. Contact Facilities at 952-939-8390.
Feel free to use the Night to Unite Event Flyer to promote your event in your neighborhood. Download the PDF to use the customizable fields.
Contact Karen Hendrickson at 952-939-8543 to learn more or ask questions.
Minnetonka’s mayor, city council members and other local elected officials who represent our community may attend Night to Unite events. Neighbors have appreciated this opportunity to speak informally with their elected representatives.
State law requires the city to provide the locations of Night to Unite events to anyone who requests them and the city cannot legally prohibit anyone from attending your event. No other information is provided; host names and contact information are confidential.
This can lead to visits from candidates running for office and others from outside the neighborhood attending Night to Unite events. These visits have typically been very positive, but the property owner may ask any unwelcome guests to leave.
Neighborhoods participating in Night to Unite are encouraged to gather food and cash donations to benefit ICA Food Shelf. The neighborhood with the largest total donation (by weight) wins a prize provided by ICA.
ICA has a list of its current needs online at icafoodshelf.org/current-needs. Cash donations are also accepted, and every dollar donated is worth two pounds.
Please make arrangements for someone in your neighborhood to deliver the donations the day after Night to Unite to:
ICA Food Shelf
11588 K-Tel Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55343
Drop off donations at the front garage doors
Do not bring donations to the police department or give to city employees.
Not sure what to do for your Night to Unite Event? Here are some event ideas and helpful tips to make your party a success!
- Food: dessert potluck, favorite snack, root beer floats, make-your-own ice cream sundae, popcorn
- Games: BINGO, Neighbor-of-the-Year awards, hula hoop contest, musical chairs, kid parade
- Neighbors: Invite a neighboring block that doesn’t have an event planned – it’s a great way to connect with more neighbors and your party may inspire them to host one next year!
- Use this Night to Unite event flyer, download to complete) to promote your event in your neighborhood.
- Ask neighbors to help with the planning, details and tasks, such as set-up and clean-up.
- Indicate start and end times; be flexible with the end time if people are having fun!
- Provide name tags
- Tailor your event to your block. For example, if there are a lot of young children, plan activities that will interest them and their parents
- Keep it simple so neighbors can meet and visit
- Welcome neighbors, thank them for attending, keep any announcements brief
- Plan for bad weather and consider an alternate indoor location (such as a garage) if it rains. The city will visit rain or shine, unless weather is severe.
- You must obtain a permit to hold your event in a city park. Contact Facilities at 952-939-8390.
2019 Night to Unite photo contest
Tag the city’s social media accounts when you post Night to Unite photos and you could win a prize! We’ll select one winner on each platform. Enter on all three for multiple chances to win! Bonus points if you include Minnetonka police, fire, public works or city officials in a photo with your group.
Good luck, and we can’t wait to celebrate with you!