Use the sections below to learn more about various permits, forms and applications required for police department services. Call 952-939-8500 to learn more or ask questions.
A temporary parking permit is required for streets with signs prohibiting street parking or restricting parking during certain hours. Most Minnetonka streets do not have restrictions and do not require temporary parking permits.
Residents may apply for temporary parking permits (or temporary “no parking” signs) for special events. All the following criteria must be met.
- Receive consent from 75 percent of property owners adjacent to parking request area
- Parking will not occur from 2 – 6 a.m.
- Parking is in connection with a special event (wedding, graduation party, etc.) and will not exceed 20 consecutive hours
- Property has not exceeded four events with temporary parking permits in a calendar year
- Parking does not violate state requirements or create a hazard to public safety
- Parking will occur only on one side of the street if both sides have been designated “no parking”
- The event will not violate the city’s noise ordinance
Download the temporary parking / no parking permit application. Return the completed application and required signature form to the police department at least seven days before your event. Call 952-939-8500 to learn more or ask questions.
City facilities are closed due to coronavirus, but we continue to issue permits to purchase firearms. Follow these steps to apply for a permit.
- Download and complete the application.
- Make a copy of your government-issued ID. Ensure you're a Minnetonka resident, your address is current on your ID and it matches the address on your application.
- State law requires in-person applications. Email us to request an appointment to bring your application and ID copy to city hall.
- Our staff will contact you to arrange an appointment.
- At the appointment, we’ll review your application, verify your ID and provide a receipt.
- When approved, you’ll receive your permit in the mail.
Email us to learn more or ask questions.
Permits to carry a handgun are issued by the Hennepin County Sherriff’s Office.
Police officers are available for hire for off-duty services at a rate of $80 per hour (two-hour minimum) per officer.
Download and complete the following letter and form and submit to the police department at least seven days prior to the date services are needed to request off-duty services.
Call 952-939-8547 to learn more or ask questions.
The Minnetonka Police Department strives to serve and protect with honor and integrity. If you have observed misconduct by a member of our department, we ask you to report it.
Download, complete and return the following form to the police department, or call 952-939-8500 and ask to speak with a supervisor. We value feedback and rely on the community we serve to hold us accountable.
The Minnetonka Police Department offers a free service to check the exterior of your home while you’re away as time and availability permits. We do not assume any liability for your residence or property.
To request a vacation house check, complete the vacation check online form. Call 952-939-8500 with questions. View additional tips to keep your home safe while you’re away.
Minnetonka residents can complete an application to request street closures for block parties, parades, 5K races and other special events. All who live on the street must agree to the closure in writing.
Download the application to request a street closure. Complete and return it to the police department – along with a separate document with all neighbors’ signatures – at least seven days prior to your event. Call 952-939-8500 to learn more or ask questions.
Cul-de-sacs and dead-end streets are preferred for street closures, but all streets will be considered for approval.
The person who receives the permit is responsible for setting up and taking down barricades and warning lights (for nighttime events). The city will provide barricades and warning lights, which will be delivered to and picked up from the permit holder.
A separate parking permit may also be required for your event; see the “Parking permits” section on this page for more information.
Call 952-939-8500 to obtain a permit, learn more or ask questions. Learn more about pet ownership in Minnetonka.