Attend the Minnetonka Police Academy for a unique opportunity to get an in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at police department operations.
The academy is an eight-week course, offered free to Minnetonka residents every 18 months.
- Tuesdays, Feb. 12 – April 2, 2019
- 6 – 9 p.m.
- Minnetonka Community Center (14600 Minnetonka Blvd.)
- The course can host 20 participants, spots fill up quickly.
- Application deadline: Monday, Feb/ 4
To apply or learn more contact Karen Hendrickson at 952-939-8543.
Potential participants must fill out an application and meet the following eligibility requirements:
- An eight-week commitment
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must reside or work in Minnetonka – preference will be given to Minnetonka residents – unfilled spots may be offered to non-Minnetonka applicants
- Complete the application and submit to a basic criminal background check – information provided is used to verify criminal history – it will not be used for any other purpose.
- All applications are subject to approval by the Chief of Police
The Minnetonka Police Department reserves the right to deny or accept any applicant into the academy based on criminal history, driver’s license record or other factors determined by the police department.
- Build relationships with the community by creating police ambassadors
- Help citizens understand law enforcement strategies and challenges
- Enhance public safety
- Reduce crime
- History and organizational structure
- Tour of the police department
- Police recruiting and training
- Crime scene investigations
- Emergency response team
- Community service officers
- Computer forensics
- Drug task force
- School resource officers
- Police canine
- Crime lab
- Crime prevention
- Crime analysis
- Traffic unit and DWI exercises
- Use of force tactics
- Dispatch and communications
Participants are eligible to receive a ride-along with a Minnetonka police officer.
The academy concludes with a graduation ceremony where graduates and their families are invited to take part in the event with police instructors.
The academy is designed for educational purposes only. Graduates will not be police officers or reserve officers. Unauthorized audio taping, videotaping or photography is not permitted during the academy.