Important Ice Advisory: The city has temporarily installed an aerator in Shady Oak Lake, in close proximity to the floating dock. Be advised that there will be open water around the dock throughout winter, and please use caution in that area.
Enjoy the summer season at Shady Oak Beach located at 5200 Shady Oak Road in Minnetonka. This facility is owned by the City of Hopkins, and operated by the City of Minnetonka’s Recreation Department.
This 85-acre, fully recreational area offers 76′ of sandy beach shoreline and clear spring-fed waters, as well as great amenities including multi-age playground area, lifeguards, swimming, high dive, concessions, changing area, rentals for canoe, kayak, and stand-up paddle board, sand volleyball and free parking.
Shady Oak Beach is open Friday, June 5 through Sunday, Aug. 23, 2020.
- June 5 – July 31: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- July 4: 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Aug. 1 – 23: 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.; weather dependent
- Waterfront closes one half hour before sunset; schedule updated daily
- General Admission: $6 per person (ages 2 and under are free)
- Twilight Rate (after 6 p.m.): $3 per person
- 10-Visit Punch Card: $40
2020 Season Pass Rates
||Resident Type/Number of Passes
|Purchased by June 4 or after July 31||Resident 1 – 2 passes||$13 / Pass|
|$7 / Pass|
|Nonresident 1 – 3 passes||$26 / Pass|
|$13 / Pass|
|Purchased June 5 - July 31||Resident 1 – 2 passes||$18 / Pass|
|$9 / Pass|
|Nonresident 1 – 3 passes||$31 / Pass|
|$16 / Pass|
Cities of Minnetonka, Hopkins and St. Louis Park qualify for resident rates. All others pay nonresident rates.
- Recreation Services (14600 Minnetonka Blvd.) Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Check, cash, VISA, MasterCard and Discover are accepted.
- Shady Oak Beach (5200 Shady Oak Road), during beach operation hours. Cash, check (made payable to "Recreation Services"), VISA, MasterCard and Discover are accepted.
- Call Recreation Services 952-939-8203, Monday - Friday , 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. VISA, MasterCard and Discover are accepted.
- Renewing your season pass may be done online at minnetonkamn.gov/register.
Additional Season Pass Information
- Ages 2 and under are free.
- Season passes are nonrefundable.
- Additional passes are only for family members living in the same household.
- Season passes are not sold or issued at Hopkins City Hall.
- All children under 12 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- All persons who have not purchased a season pass will need to pay a daily admission of $6 to use the beach.
- If you have a season pass ID card from the previous season, you do not need a new card. Your card is activated with the purchase of a new season pass.
- The Membership Card ID is used to verify your purchase of a current season pass every time you access Shady Oak Beach. Failure to provide a valid Membership Card ID at the gate entrance will result in a delay while staff verifies your season pass.
- If you have never purchased a season pass to Shady Oak Beach, you must purchase them in-person or over the phone.
The following guidelines are used for the closing of Shady Oak Beach due to inclement weather:
- When the temperature is 65 degrees Fahrenheit or colder, and/or
- The number of swimmers is fewer than 15 (within a two-hour window before 5 p.m. or at any point after 5 p.m.)
City beaches may be closed at the discretion of Recreation Services. When the weather is questionable, please call the Weather Line at 952-939-8355 (choose option #4) or Shady Oak Beach at 952-908-7083. The beach may open late or close early if the guidelines listed above are met.
Inflatables are open during regular operating hours.
Life jackets are recommended, but not required. Lifeguards have the authority to require a life jacket if deemed necessary.
Rentals that are available with a valid driver's license:
- Life jackets and paddle jumpers (no charge)
- Sand volleyball (no charge). Equipment must be checked out at the gate area
- Canoe, kayak, paddle board (SUP) rentals (no reservations allowed):
- Canoe = $7/Hour
- Kayak (single) = $7/Hour
- Kayak (two person) = $10/Hour
- Paddle Board = $10/Hour
Amenities at the beach include:
- Concession stand
- Playground areas
- First-aid station
- Family, women's and men’s restrooms/changing areas
- Storage area for small personal items
- Foot wash and rinse station on the beach area
- Patio area with umbrellas
- High dive
- Lap swimming
Groups reservations are from Noon – 6 p.m.
To reserve, contact Recreation Services at least seven days in advance at 952-939-8203.
- Resident: $5 per person
- Nonresident: $6 per person
- Chaperones and bus drivers are free
Groups of 20 or more will be given the group rate, and are required to have a ratio of one adult to ten children.
- We ask that adults take an active role in supervising their group.
- Group leaders must notify the Recreation Department at least three days in advance if there are any changes to your reservation.
- Reservation changes can be made with Recreation Superintendent Ann Davy, or at 952-939-8357.
- Glass bottles or cans are not allowed in the beach area. Please let your participants know this ahead of time.
Visit the picnic shelter reservations page for information on reserving the Shady Oak Beach shelter.
As a spring-fed lake that receives little stormwater runoff, Shady Oak Lake/Beach is not susceptible to contamination and has never tested positive for E. coli. However, in order to protect beach users, water at Shady Oak Beach is tested twice per year for E. coli - once before the season starts, and again midway through the season.
Questions? Contact Minnetonka Environmental Health at 952-939-8272.